Sunday, December 03, 2017

The Olives

My photos really dont do justice to this interesting garden. I knew the Olives at Yankalilla as a young teenager in the late 1940's when an aunt and uncle lived there in a very dilapidated house with no garden but olive trees surrounding it. We used to walk over the hill from my grandmothers cottage to visit. My most vivid memory was of the water tank in the back yard, now all lawned over. and of lichorice plants growing wild. My father the botanist knew all about them. Today when the garden was open we drove over and although I have driven past especially when my mother was alive to see what was being done to it, I have never really been back. It is one of the most sensible gardens I have been to in a long time. full of long drifts of hardy plants that grow in this climate. Agapanthus, geraniums, especially the climbing ivy leaved ones growing down over banks, oleanders in flower, hardy french lavender, roses and more. Yes it has lawns, hardy kikuyu, and lovely old trees and newly planted ones. Wide walk ways and all in all a delight. I do miss my garden.

No comments: